Sunday, April 1, 2012

The JUMBO Slice


               I have not had the chance to get pizza in Atlanta for some time due to a myriad of factors. School work has been building up for me and it has been the same case for my aunt. She teaches at Oxford and her workload has been, according to her, unrelenting. In addition to my schoolwork I have been pledging a fraternity and that has been eating up a lot of my time. 
               Fortunately I had the pleasure of going home for spring break, allowing myself to get New York pizza. My flight landed around midnight on a Friday night, and the second I arrived home my friend and I jumped into a car and drove into the city to grab some food. We went to a tiny little pizzeria, filled with big things, called Koronets. Koronets is an unique pizzeria because the slices they serve are literally bigger than your face (See picture below). Located uptown in Manhattan near Columbia University, Koronets is locally famous among the people who live there, especially those who are looking for a good meal at a bargain price. It manages to be one of my favorite places to go in the city. They somehow are able to keep the crust crisp and perfect while creating a super sized pizza over 30 inches in diameter. To put into perspective, a normal pizza is around 16 inches in diameter. It is remarkable that their slices are able to stand up to their own weight. Most slices I have had in Atlanta can barely keep rigid when they are folded in half. The tips droop and cause, one of the most terrible things in the world, the cheese to fall off the slice. On a half fold, the Koronets slices are surprisingly rigid. Their ability to keep the slices rigid shows the true talent of the Koronets chefs. It requires more skill than one would think to get this right. They are artists when it comes to making pizza.
Slideshow
               Koronets achieves in creating their amazing jumbo slices, but they still manage to keep the price down. One jumbo slice costs only $3.75, while a regular slice of $2.50. A jumbo slice is definitely equivalent to at least two and a half regular slices and they taste as good, if not better. My friends tell me they taste the same as a regular slice, but I think they taste better. All pizza lovers should get a chance to experience the joy of eating a giant slice of pizza. Not only do the jumbo slices save you money, they taste good. Some people do not order it because they are afraid of the daunting task of eating a literally giant slice of pizza, but you have to be up to the task to truly enjoy something special.
               
              








1 comment:

  1. Alex, I feel your (and your aunt's pain). It is a crazy time in the semester. But, I'm glad you could take a detour to NYC for some real pizza, which looks wonderful. Nice writing and good work!

    ReplyDelete