Wednesday, January 25, 2012


  I came to college with an expectation of the food not going to taste too good, and unfortunately the DUC has lived up to that expectation. I can definitely say that DUC food is not something I look forward to everyday.  I miss food from home so much and probably the one I miss the most has got to be pizza. My hometown, Pelham, NY, is known for its high taxes, low crime, and having way too many pizzerias. Seriously, looking on urban dictionary will prove my point. I think have a pretty I good idea of what a good slice of pizza tastes like. I don’t want to act like an expert, but in my opinion a mouthwatering pizza has to have certain type of crust, cheese, and sauce. The crust, I believe, is what defines a slice of pizza. It can also determine whether the slice will be taste good or not. The bottom crust has to be crispy, but no too crispy and at the same time it also has to be slightly chewy and at the same time flavorful. When a pizza crust is too dry, bland, or crunchy it ruins everything. The crust also has to be capable of being folded and supporting the weight of the slice without any aid. Nothing is worse than folding a slice and having the tip sag down and seeing the cheese slip out of the pizza. The cheese plays a vital role in a decent slice of pizza. It has to have that requisite “gooey factor”. It has to be gooey, but no too gooey, and chewy, but not too chewy. I kind think of it as a Goldilocks kind of thing. The sauce what brings the crust and the cheese together. It has to have tomatoey taste that balances both sweetness and acidity with a hint of I don’t know what, but it tastes good. With these high standards I find it difficult to be able to find a slice of pizza that will be able to match the quality of a slice from hometown. Last semester my aunt and I embarked on a challenge to find really good pizza in Atlanta.
Photo courtesy of: Lin
     We started by choosing a different place to go to every weekend. Last weekend we had Fellini’s Pizza on Mclendon Ave near Candler Park. I ordered a Fellini’s special slice, my aunt ordered a  plain slice, and we split a calzone. The special slice had a myriad of toppings including mushrooms, sausage, onions, olives, peppers, and pepperoni. The slice of pizza was actually fairly good. The addition of the toppings made the slice special. The crust was a little too crunchy, but the overall package was really good.  I blame my crunchy crust on the fact that they probably had to cook it longer due to all the extra toppings. Next time I’ll try to keep it simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment